Aanbevolen post

Monday 2 September 2019

Why am I going to the US for a year?

Hello everyone!
My name is Lieke, a 18-year-old Dutch girl. I am currently living in Philadelphia, (Pennsylvania, USA) as an Au Pair and this blog is about my gap year here.
Since I quit my education (Nutrition & dietetics) in March 2019, I had been thinking about what I want to do next. After a few weeks I knew what I really love to do: travelling. 'I want to see the world' I said to myself. That's why I started my journey when I just turned 18 on the beautiful little Island: Curaรงao. I have been there for 12 days and I have learned so many new things from this trip! And I also became a lot more independent because of it!  Then I started looking for different studies at various colleges / Universities. Unfortunately, without much result… Then I started looking for other options and finally I ended up with a gap year as an Au Pair in the USA with the Dutch agency 'Travel Active' and I chose to do this! In May I started arranging this great adventure and within a few weeks I already had arranged a lot. Thanks to my mom who helped me with everything we had to do for this!!! Because I wanted to go to France during summer to do entertaining work with children on a camping, it was not always easy to do everything I had to do for my Au Pair profile and for the orientation in New York.

Luckily it all worked out and September 3 I could finally fly to New York with 4 other Dutch Au Pairs from the same agency and here our adventure was going to start!
On August 30, I gave a big American Party for all of my friends and it was really great to see all of them before I went to the US! I already knew I was really going to miss them after everybody would leave the party., but apparently I was able to handle this feeling somehow.. I also had a party for my family one week before and that was also great! I will miss all these lovely people so much! And I really didn't know how I should deal with this when I am in the US, but on the other hand, I was really looking forward to go to the US and start a whole new life there! I couldn't wait to go!

However, I really want to thank all of my friends and relatives for all the support they gave me for making my dreams come true! I love you all so much guys, and I won't have ever done this without you! I will definitely keep you up to date about my life here, so keep an eye on my blog if you are interested! I will update it every week and add some pictures! Also keep me up to date about the life in the Netherlands of course!!

1 comment:

  1. Hoi Lieke mijn Engels schrijven is niet zo goed daarom gewoon Nederlands heel veel plezier met jou spannende reis naar het grote Amerika geniet van iedere dag daar we houden jou verhalen in de gaten heel veel plezier we love jou ��

    ReplyDelete